Maine Office of Tourism Awards $110,000 in Enterprise Marketing Grants
January 13, 2016
Department of Economic and Community Development
AUGUSTA - The Maine Office of Tourism (MOT) has awarded over $110,000 in Enterprise Marketing Grants and Special Event Marketing Grants to 12 applicants through the MOT’s Maine Tourism Marketing Partner Program.
The Tourism Enterprise Marketing Grants program was established in 2014 to support the tourism-related projects of smaller organizations with funding that can help them grow or launch new initiatives. Grants are reviewed and awarded biannually, and range from $2,500-$10,000.
“These grants will help connect visitors to some of Maine’s distinctive experiences, and expand awareness of the diversity of these adventure, culinary, cultural and retail experiences throughout the state,” said Carolann Ouellette, director of the Maine Office of Tourism.
Projects supported in the fall 2015 grant cycle are:
• Shop Second Saturday, Retail Association of Maine– $10,000 - Funds will support video creation and paid advertising on broadcast, digital and social media to attract visitors to Maine each month for a weekend of specials statewide.
• Emerge Film Festival - $5,750 - 2016 is the second year for this well-organized Lewiston/Auburn –based festival. Funds will expand efforts to reach a broader Maine and out-of-state market and build visitation during Maine’s “shoulder season” in April.
• Acadia National Park Centennial, Friends of Acadia - $6,600 - Funds will expand promotion of this year long, world-welcoming celebration and once-in-a-lifetime event that will attract visitors nationally and globally, in coordination with the National Park Service 100th anniversary celebration in 2016.
• Freeport USA - $10,000 - The grant will help fund the creation of a series of 30-second YouTube videos to showcase the experiences Freeport has to offer to a younger market through social media.
• Maine Fiberarts - $5,000 - Maine Fiberarts promotes a statewide network of fiber artists, crafters and farms. Funds will support the production and distribution of Fiberarts Trip Itinerary Cards.
• Maine Science Festival - $6,000 - This well-attended festival offers free admission and attracts families to the Bangor area during the shoulder season in late March. Funding will provide assets to reach the tech-savvy participants through social media.
• Maine Island Trail Association - $3,500 - Funds will support digital advertising to attract out-of-state boaters to the MITA website, and promote awareness of the Trail App download for exploring Maine’s 375-mile recreational coastal waterway.
• Maine Whoopie Pie Festival - $5,000 - Celebrating Maine’s official snack, this Dover-Foxcroft -based festival will promote a Whoopie Pie Trail through bakeries and the surrounding community with printed materials, radio ads, and social media.
• Rangeley Lake Chamber - $5,000 - Funds will support an upgrade to the Chamber website to a responsive, mobile-friendly site, readily accessible to the four-season travelers to the Rangeley Lakes area.
• Orrington Old Home Week - $2,650 - This summer festival celebrates Orrington’s heritage with a wide range of activities in the Orrington and Bucksport area. Funds will support local broadcast and digital marketing, attracting visitors in the local market and enhancing the visitor experience.
• Sanford International Film Festival - $9,200 - The Sanford International Film Festival provides a platform for the works of budding independent filmmakers. Funding will support an online campaign reaching a very targeted film-going audience.
Special Event Marketing Grants are designed to provide support to existing, well-established events with a broad impact on the state economy to help expand their audience. A fall 2015 Special Event Grant has been awarded to:
• Maine Craft Weekend - $42,500 - Funds will support the promotion of this statewide tour of Maine craft studios, breweries, shops and events for October 2016.
The next Enterprise Marketing Grant and Special Event Marketing Grant cycle will be in Spring 2016, with applications due in May. For more information about the MOT Maine Tourism Marketing Partnership Program call Phil Savignano at 207-624-9809, or visit http://visitmaine.com/mtmpp/